Thursday, July 5, 2012

Birthday Week

A couple highlights from my birthday week...

Our FT that Monday was to Neot Kedumim, a "biblical landscape reserve" here in Jerusalem. We saw and did a bunch of things to give us a little taste of what it would have been like to live in Biblical times.

Shepherding. 
What an adventure.... Hahaha. But we did it! I preferred the goats; they were much easier to lead. Plus, the baby goats were adorable.

In the conversation we had afterwards, our guide said something that impressed me. He said that a good shepherd first knows the needs of his flock-- he knows when they need water and leads them to it so the sheep don't leave the flock to go find it. Then, he leads confidently. If you aren't confident, the sheep won't trust and follow you.

My favorite baby goat

Robert likes to ride sheep...

I want a baby goat for a pet. Do you think my landlord in Provo would allow that??

Next we went to a well where we talked about the story of Rebekah at the well. I love that story, for obvious reasons. Our guide said that Rebekah was strong, generous, clever, and faithful. I want to be all those things!

Rebecca and Rebekah

Rebekah at the well

Hyssop was the bush used to apply blood to the doorposts of the Israelites in Egypt on the night the angel of death would pass them over. In the Gospel of John, hyssop was used to give the vinegar sponge to Christ on the cross, furthering the symbolism of Christ as the pascal lamb.

Hyssop

Hyssop is also used to make za'atar, a delicious spice mix they use here.

Rachael and I crushin' our hyssop

We also got to make our own pita and lentil soup from scratch.
I was team Peeta, obviously. 
(the bread and my hunger games crush)

Making pita!!
Natalie, Laura, Alyssa, Meg, Hailey, Becca, Melissa

Tossing our pitas like pizza

Team Peeta- Sarah, Robert, Susan, Melissa

These boys... Love them.
Michael, Robert, David squared

I had my first fig! It was delicious!

We also got to see a Torah reading from a Torah scribe

We also went to the Festival of Lights over in the Old City one night.
Robert, Anna Marie, AJ



On my birthday, I had to do a lot of school work, unfortunately. I'm not used to having school on my birthday in the summer! 
We also had our Seder meal that night. It was a really cool experience! I love getting to learn more about other religions, and I especially love finding things I connect with in them.

Napkin folders
Rachel, Alisha, Anna Marie, Robin, Sean, Nathan

The readers for the Passover story sat at a special table at the front with Ophir, our Israel/Judaism teacher.
VIPs- David and Paige

Creepin' on Anna Marie (and Rachel). As always.


I loved this passage.

Matza with David

I love this picture for two reasons: Alvin's laughing face and Stehly's face trying not to smile
Stehly, Alvin, Emily

Devery and Hailey

Jamie and Alvin. So much love.

Anna Marie is such a sweetheart and decorated my door the night before:

Since my birthday was full of school and other whatnots, Robin and Anna Marie set up a dinner for me at a delicious Italian restaurant over in West J. They're the best!!
Half of the group- Melissa, Meg, Robert, Anna Marie, Robin, Jamie, Lauren, Nate, Stehly

They even got me a treat! (there was a sparkler on there, but it had just gone out)

My friends rock. Thanks for making my birthday so great!!
For a hilarious post about my birthday, check out Anna Marie's blog
All in all, I had a fantastic birthday! If you ever get the chance to turn 20 in Jerusalem, I highly recommend it.

On Sabbath, a group of us went over to Dominus Flevit, the site where Jesus supposedly wept over the city of Jerusalem.
I thought this picture was kind of cool... Christianity and Islam. All we're missing in this picture is Judaism.

On Sunday, we went to Tel Aviv. We're kind of addicted.
Michael with his briefcase is my favorite

AJ and Robert modeling in Old Joppa

I thought this sign was cool. We all took a slip.
I always need a little more "undestanding" in my life

Tel Aviv has the best graffiti

1 comment:

  1. Hola gorgeous! You should totally bring a goat home! I'll bring my pet lizard (jorge) that i caught here and we'll just hide them in our appt! ;) haha... also aren't figs so good? Our parents have a fig tree here and we eat them all the time! I love them! Also my birthday is on sept 22 and im turning 20 so can we please go to jerusalem to celebrate? Kay thanks.

    ReplyDelete